Open Interest Group  ·  61 members

Blizzard Gaming Club
Sign in to follow this  
Koro

Diablo

I'm curious if anyone has thoughts on the new Diablo: Immortal mobile game announced at Blizzcon. @DigitalMonk I know you are/were there, was the reaction there as bad as what I'm reading on the internet? Any of my fellow Remnants have thoughts about this?

@Koro the reaction was really really bad. I was very disappointed. I am a pretty open-minded guy so I played the game. Normally, you have a set amount of time (about 20-30 minutes) then you have to get off because of the line. Not the case here, there was so few people wanting to even play it that I ended up being able to play for an hour.

My biggest concern, the controls, were actually really well done. It was intuitive and felt mostly fine, no problems there. However, the game does feel like a reskin of those Eastern mobile games and feels like it has no soul. This game was not fun and felt like a very shoddy version of D3.

Also....welcome to the club @Koro! :D

• Like 1

Thanks Digital!

Yeah, I was reading how things at Blizzcon went very badly for the Diablo devs. I obviously haven't played the demo myself, but I feel no desire to play a mobile Diablo at all. Games on my phone are typically little more than distractions/petty little things I can turn on and off as time allows. But when I play Diablo games, I want to be immersed and connected to Sanctuary. So I highly doubt I will look very seriously at this game, simply because my phone is not a gaming console option for me.

Also, it makes me EXTREMELY sad they announce this as a main installment in the franchise... but do not make it available to the franchise's primary platform. Diablo is, and always will be, a primarily PC game, even though they have branched it out to xbox/playstation/nintendo. To make a full addition to the franchise in a mobile platform seems.... shallow. If Immortal was more of a side-product I could understand it, but announcing it as an equal partner in the franchise really rubs me the wrong way.

I'm going to be glued to all the craziness surrounding this story one way or the other though. I wonder if Blizzard feels any need to do "damage control", or if they'll end Blizzcon and pretend like nothing has happened. Very curious.

On 11/4/2018 at 3:37 PM, Koro said:

Also, it makes me EXTREMELY sad they announce this as a main installment in the franchise...

I think that was the biggest mistake that Blizz made and quite a few people agree.  It was kinda bad form to announce this to a room full of hardcore PC players without giving them anything of interest.  A mobile game for the Eastern market is a wise business decision, but these cons are about appreciating the fans.  A mobile game is a slap in the face to these types of fans.

• Like 1

I agree a mobile game isn't a bad idea. And I also agree Blizzcon was the WORST place to announce it, especially after hyping up the Diablo franchise as having big news... this isn't big news to most Diablo fans. Its the exact opposite of what we want to hear, generally speaking of course.  But I also think that a mobile game shouldn't be a full installment into the franchise. Make a little spinoff of the game maybe, bring a little bit of the experience to the broader Asian market, but leave the core franchise where it was built and for who it was made for.

But then again, if they had said Immortal would also be released on PC (even if it came a year after the mobile version), then all would be well. But ditching the entire fanbase by making a full game on a platform that the fanbase doesn't play.... seems like poor strategy. I get that Blizz 'claims' to have other projects in the works that they want us to assume are for the PC, but A) we don't KNOW they are PC projects, and B) we still miss out on key Diablo lore and stories unless we lower our standards to a cheap mobile player.

Sign in to follow this  

Congratulations to Princess & -Glamazon- on being chosen Members of the Month for July for their primary divisions!

Remnants of Hope Community Links