Sign in to follow this  
Jaark

New player asking for advice and tips...

Hey everyone! 

I am new to FFXIV...atm I got the trial version and I wrote this post to ask you for some good advice and starter tips!  

IF it matters, yes im on PS4,  and I restarted to a conjurer. Also I just made it to level 6 of writing this...soo... 

Help a idiot out??

• Like 3

I mean, I am fairly new to this as well, but the best advice I can offer is to largely ignore sidequests.  Stick with the Main Story Quest (Icon with flames around it) as that's enough to get you exp, and the Unlock quests (Class quests and quests that unlock rewards/dungeons/features, quest Icon has a plus sign).  The side quests are.... pretty dull in this game, but you never actually need to do them.  Also... the game is not enormously alt friendly, but you can learn and level every class on a single character, so it doesn't shut you out at all.

• Like 3

Yeah,  I sort of deleted my first toon cuz while I play healer in most games...I did an archer, but I back out and went on to play conjurer.  I hope sometime later on I can pick up Archer as a side class for my guy...  but ty for the advice on quests cuz tbh...Ive been picking up....EVERYTHING!!

• Like 1

I re-started a little over a week ago now, and I'm pushing 50 on my Dragoon. Currently 47. Here's my advice.

Ignore all side quests, with the exception of the ones that are colored blue. The blue side quests unlock various things in game, like the ability to dye your gear, certain dungeons, palace of the dead, etc.

Keep on your Main Story Quest and Class Quests (class quests are every 5 levels). Keep up with your class hunting log and do Fates that are on the way when you are going about the MSQ. 

I went from 1-35ish just on MSQ and few fates, class quests and the lancer hunting log.

Also, do your daily roulette (aka dungeon) for the bonus xp. I also pop a food buff for the extra XP.

Post 35, I had to supplement Palace of the Dead with MSQ and Class Quests.

• Like 2

Well I'll tell how I approach quests. 

When I first start a character,  do every quest in your home city. As you go from quest giver to quest giver,  click all the blue crystals you see for easy travel around town.  Enjoy it!  Read all your spells and quests especially the MSQ (with flames around it or comet looking).

Don't worry about class,  cause at level 10 or 15 (forget which)  you can unlock all quests and easily swap between them. All jobs have their own story class quests as well. You can also learn all crafting jobs on one character. 

Don't worry about looks cause it can be changed. 

Join our linkshell for trial players and if you buy the game,  you can then join our guild. 

• Like 1

have to agree with what some others said up there - focus on the main story (and enjoy it, IMO its bloody amazing)  and you'll want to do job quests mostly.  doing the main story and roulettes (lots of people in the FC seem to be up for helping with those) will get you more then enough levels, the only time i needed to worry about side quests was when i got to Stormblood content (lvls 60-70) but i also was splitting my exp gains between summoner and red mage in that time.  when  you do level another class, you'll get an xp boost up to the highest class level on that character, so for instance if you level conjurer to 30, then want to play bard, you'll get boosted exp to 30 until you catch up (plus whatever rested xp you accumulate).   Also as a conjurer dont be afraid to be casting stone/aero on enemies in dungeons, damage is nowhere near as spikey as it is in WoW for instance (unless you have a tank pulling multiple groups)

any questions you got let myself or anyone in game know, i know i dont see things instantly most of the time but i'll try to answer what i know!

Sign in to follow this