Sign in to follow this  
javaapp

A book of the month for June?

Hey, I wanted to know if there would be a book for June. I haven't been a in book club for a long time, so I am looking forward to it. 

To start things rolling, I would suggest one of the novels of Gene Wolfe, of whom I am a big fan.  Say one of the small ones, like There are Doors, or Home Fires.

That's just to get the ball rolling. I would be fine with anything we chose. 

Edited by javaapp
  • Like 1

I wish we could find something available on Kindle Unlimited or an otherwise low cost download, though I am afraid I don't have any particular suggestions. I'm really glad I bought Good Omens though; that was exceptional.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CatCrystal said:

I wish we could find something available on Kindle Unlimited or an otherwise low cost download, though I am afraid I don't have any particular suggestions. I'm really glad I bought Good Omens though; that was exceptional.

That's a good point. I'll try to see if there are any Wolfe works that apply. 

Does anyone else have some suggestions to another author to read?

• Like 1

As far as I can tell, there are no Gene Wolfe tiles available for free. Most of them seem to range from 3.99 to 9.99 I am not a member, so I might be wrong. Feel free to check if I am correct.

I would be happy to look up any suggestions in the Kindle Unlimited Catalog to see if they are free.

• Like 1

If I can make a suggestion. Wielders of Arantha: Pawns is the first book of a scifi/fantasy trilogy that I think is an awesome tale. It is free with Kindle Unlimited, or only $2.99 for the eBook on Amazon. Patrick Hodges is not a famous author, but his work is extremely good.  Just a suggestion.
https://www.amazon.com/Pawns-Wielders-Arantha-Book-1-ebook/dp/B06XSVGV86/

• Thanks 1

That sounds like a good choice to me.

Edit: I went and checked out some of the reviews on Amazon and Goodreads. There is nearly universal acclaim for this work; many, many five-star reviews. I began to think it was a scam, but it seems absolutely legit, with lots of praise from other writers (always a good sign).

Edited by javaapp
New information!

Both of those options sound good. I'm not familiar with Patrick Hodges but am game to try (did the group decide on  Wielders of Arantha: Pawns?).

I've also read Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun series and would be interested to try others. (fun fact: Wolfe helped design the machine that made Pringles Potato Chips)

Sign in to follow this  

Congratulations to Princess &, Chelly, Lakeborne & -Glamazon- on being chosen Members of the Month for July for their primary divisions!

Remnants of Hope Community Links